Since the last post I started on some black and white inks that I'll post once I scan them in. But right now I am working on a concept for a book cover as part of the Art Order Extraction Challenge. This is a real quick sketch I did and then laid some messy tone over. It still needs quite a bit of work to tighten things up a bit, and I am really hopping I will be able to finish this one on time for the challenge, which is due in by August 28th.
I'm really excited to be doing a steampunk themed challenge. I had also decided not to get carried away by adding in any people, since I know that I will probably focus in on rendering them. I wanted to stick to more of a scene with this one, and if I do add in figures I am thinking they will be suggested silhouettes.
I've pulled some reference together for the air ships that vary from old black and white dirigibles to man of war jellies, and have also taken a long look at works other artists have done in regards to scenery to try to better understand composition, lighting, and atmosphere. This is gonna be a tough piece to render, but I'm sticking to it.
On one last note: After reading Justin's post on Muddy Colors the other day, I've been inspired to try out his process of working the same way I would traditionally with watercolors, and slowly building up layers, in photoshop. It's still something I am very much in need of practice with. So stayed tuned for more process of this piece and wish me lots of luck cause I'm gonna need it!