To contact Kat drop her a line at katguevara@ymail.com

Friday, January 28, 2011

Phantom Press 2011: WIP

First of all, as far as I am aware there is no such thing as Phantom Press. At least not to the capacity of publishing stuff the way that Weird Tales does.  Anyways...the artwork....



CGHub is currently hosting a challenge for a Voodoo witch or shaman, and it is open to different types of entries. I recently also put together a list of possible projects to work on through out the year, one of them was similar to the proposed challenge. So this is the idea that came to mind. Initially I was thinking about an old school carnival poster. As I was drawing this out I started to wonder if I would just ink it or do sepia washes in watercolor...and since I couldn't decide I let other's vote on it....



As you can see the watercolor came out in the lead as far as votes go. Which lead me to think that it would be cooler if I made it look like an old pulp cover, which is what my aims for this are now. So this is 100% watercolor on Arches hot press paper. Some of the inspiration for the back layout come from Adam Huges and Norman Rockwell, but mostly I am really into old pulp covers. I am considering adding type to the bottom but am not sure about it just yet...maybe Love Advice From Little Ouija or something?

So it's turning out ok so far, and yes I am aware I need to get a scanner. Phage is also still in the works, so look for more WIP work of her as well. 

No comments: