To contact Kat drop her a line at katguevara@ymail.com

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Elgin Historical Soceity: Charity Chair WIP Painting II

Still working on my chair, and still finding working with acrylics to be quite a pain. I'm not quite sure if it's a bias for the medium, the fact that I suck at using it....or that the spray paint primer has been making it difficult for the paint to stick for some odd reason. I'm also a bit surprised that my Golden Paints aren't going down as well as I recall, and that the Utrect brand has been holding up a bit better. I'm also using the cheap craft acrylics you can buy at Hobby Lobby and Walmart. I had planned to add in colored pencils but they aren't applying smoothly, perhaps due to the wood grain, or else the primer. I've also opted to not use sharpies like I had planned because I'm not sure they won't run when I spray on the protective clear coat upon completion. 



I still haven't touched the arms of the chair at all. I figured I would save the smallest two parts for last, though I admit I am a bit worried about painting them since they should be identical. I went ahead and placed the back onto the seat to see how it's coming along so far...and I think it's holding up pretty well....


It's been difficult not only to work with a medium I'm not confidant in but from a computer sketch translated to the actual chair....and those pesky breaks  between the slats. I've also gone back and forth on some of the color choices I made, going from pink stripes on the legs to brown, as well as adding in red and making the blue brighter than it originally was. 


I'm working on the seat right now, which is a 'picnic' type thing going on. I have till the end of the month to finish....ok, a little less time than that since I will be leaving at the end of the month for Ohio. The chair will be done before then and turned over to the Museum. The title (how fancy is that?) for my chair is Gears and Roses....and will be one of 60 on display at the Gail Borden Library to be auctioned off later on in June. 

No comments: