To contact Kat drop her a line at katguevara@ymail.com

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Happy Star Wars Day!

Ok....so it was technically yesterday. I'm a little late on posting the art I did yesterday because, well, I started it at about 11 p.m. yesterday and was too tired to post it.

Anyways, this is kinda a tribute piece to two great American Illustrators: Joseph Leyendecker and Iain McCaig.

Illustration by Joseph Leyendecker



Concept Art by Iain McCaig

Sketch in tribute to the above artists


You can see in my sketch how I kinda copied the design originally created by Leyendecker, most likely for one of the Saturday Evening Post covers. I put a spin on it for Star Wars Day by making the woman into Padme instead, using inspiration from Iain McCaig's concept art.


I've started coloring in my piece as well. I've been looking though some old sketchbooks of mine where I used markers or watercolor to throw in color ideas and I like those messes of color. So I tried to mimic that a little bit in how I began to color this in.

Working in digital media is a lot different than working traditionally, as you can fix a lot of stuff as you move forward as opposed to putting a bit more thought into things in advance. I'm not sure how I feel about that and still try to plan ahead a little bit, though I hope to keep my work a bit more loose by being able to work this way.

Anyways, I hope you like it....

No comments: